View Single Post
Old 2010-10-04, 11:19   Link #277
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
I was wondering if Kirino's brusque and forceful demeanor, despite being an interesting point of her character concept, would strike moe otaku as a negative characterization of themselves.
Ah... it actually never occurred to me that someone might see that aspect of her personality that way. I guess it is a reflection of her personality type -- she's extremely image-conscious and rarely shows her "true self" to anyone -- but I'm not sure how much this has to do with her hobby. I tend to think her personality probably predates her hobby, and has more to do with Kirino herself. I think anyone who has put up heavy walls around themselves (to make everyone think they're perfect) will come across as either awkward or forceful (or some combination of the two) as they carefully let people into their inner sanctum. I think the secretive nature of this hobby can cause people to build these sort of walls and develop these sorts of attitudes... but I'm not sure that people will see this sort of characterization as an attack on them. If anything, Kirino's "cute sister" nature shields her a bit, as people can just excuse her behaviour as her being "tsundere" towards her brother.

It is an interesting point, though... I guess we'll see how the show develops things.