View Single Post
Old 2009-08-02, 15:32   Link #6
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwong View Post
Windows has a number of security features turned on (in the registry) that do things like flush the swap file and other cleanup features when you tell the computer to shut down. This can impact the amount of time it takes to shut down the computer.

Alternativly, if you have a billion programs open, windows has to close them all before it begins closing down the OS part, and if any of those programs don't immediately respond to the shutdown command and hang for a few seconds, that adds up.
If OP's problem resembles mine, your first paragraph isn't what's happening (didn't know Windows does this though). The hard drive was not doing anything significant (light not on, etc.). In fact, it would seem that nothing was doing anything significant, because task manager didn't show any busy processes. It would be something like 98% idle, just waiting for stuff to happen.

Eventually, XP whined about my antivirus being open for half a second before it voluntarily closed itself, which hinted to me that that wasn't what caused the problem, and caused me to give up.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote