View Single Post
Old 2011-07-20, 21:37   Link #3022
00Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
You know, I have to be frank...
It's amazing to me how much hatred Sayaka gets for one little scene in Episode 10 that lasts maybe a minute, if that.

And the people who hate on her for that scene tend to say that they hate Sayaka for being "too judgmental".

Well, isn't it awfully judgmental to hate a character for one bad scene where they come off as worse than usual? It is, yes, Sayaka at her worst. In other words, she's usually better than that. So to judge a character on the basis of their worst scene seems a bit overly harsh to me.
I've wondered about that particular scene many times. It is just a simple scene, primarily used to set up Homura stealing guns from the Yakuza, and to work Kyokou and Sayaka into the time loops, but it has such a huge impact on the perceived character of Sayaka.

Taken in the context of the conversation, she is just expressing her doubts about this dorky looking girl, and her desire not to get blown up. Her tone comes off as whiney and self-important, but nowhere near as mean spirited as her telling Madoka off in the rain. But to the audience (well, at least to me) it comes off so much more harsh and bitchy.

I have 2 thoughts on this:

1: The audience knows what Homura just went through and that her motivation for telling the truth is genuine. Sayaka snapping at Homura (who has 90% of the viewer's full and undivided sympathy) is like kicking the poor sick puppy in the rain. Instant vilianification from some, but lots of love lost from many.

2: To the audience, her tone and attitude are a continuation of her descent into despair, which caused so much heartbreak in episode 8. But that despair and woe-is-me defeatism, taken out of the flow of Sayaka's story, and directly compared to how hard Homura is fighting for everyone (her main concern is Madoka, but she isn't so jaded by this point that she doesn't care for the others) it's like comparing a turd to a nice piece of cake, you just have to go 'ewwwwww'.

Quote:
None of these girls are downright perfect (thankfully). Yet it seems like only Sayaka gets judged by her worst scenes...
The flip side of that is that most of Sayaka's strongest scenes were drenched in despair, and most of her scenes painted her in a negative light, leaving her wide open to be judged harshly. Or put more simply, most of her scenes were her worst scenes.

Poor, poor Sayaka, she really caught the brutal end of Gen Urobuchi's story.
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote