View Single Post
Old 2012-04-12, 11:01   Link #18
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Perhaps the best thing about Sunrise is that it's large enough, 'storied' enough, and profitable enough, that it can safely engage in actual experimentation.

By that, I mean:

1) Sunrise puts out a lot of prominent anime originals. I've found over time that a disproportionately large percentage of my favorite anime shows are anime originals, and so I obviously think it's great that Sunrise is able to produce a lot of them, and does so.

2) Sunrise can go off the beaten path a bit. Tiger and Bunny is a great, recent example of this. A somewhat campy, action-packed show with obvious western influences and a male lead that's in his 30s and with a daughter. I can't think of many well-known anime shows with a male lead like that, and fewer still that are also action-packed. Basically, Sunrise can do stuff (and actually get it to sell, in some cases) that a lot of other studios can't.
And this is why I tell myself to watch more of their anime originals, because most of the shows I've seen by them are immensely entertaining at the very least.

I watched Brigadoon earlier this year, one of their more unappreciated anime, and was blown away by it. I need to see more like that.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote