View Single Post
Old 2009-07-22, 11:18   Link #7
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
Brina has done roles like Ai Enma (Hell Girl), Rei Ayanami (Evangelion 1.0), Elsa (Gunslinger Girl), and Maho (BECK).
I haven't seen any of those shows. (Not in English nor in Japanese for that matter.) Other people have said she has range as you did. I'm willing to trust others' judgment. I just can't say that I've heard it for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm unfamiliar with the cast for the most part... and yeah, I suspect I'll simply be wincing at each "Holo" because I can't think of many instances where an english VA pronounced names in the Japanese style when they're delivering english-localized dialog.
I think you're right about how the Americans are going to pronounce her name. Sadly so.

Quote:
Similar problems here though... wife has astigmatism that makes DVD format subtitles difficult for her. Some of the fansubs do great jobs with subtitle fonts/colors, but the DVD protocol is very limited.
My husband has macrodegeneration. For him, official DVD subtitle protocol is easier to read than any fansub titling he's seen. Even with official protocol though, he misses so much that it's like he only gets to enjoy about 50% of any episode. The only series he has managed to struggle through is Emma. And we would definitely be watching the English dub for that if there was one.

Quote:
Soooo, I really hope the dialog is written well for the VAs. Sometimes it isn't the VA's fault that they're given abysmal dialog
That's something a lot of dub critics forget. The actors don't write the script. They may occasionally make in studio changes with the director's permission, but for the most part, they say what they're given to say. If the dialog is bad, it really isn't their fault.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote