View Single Post
Old 2010-04-19, 18:53   Link #49
Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaimeGuy View Post
Roy deliberately waits for Envy to fully regenerate after every attack so he can inflict more pain on him. He could have killed him in the same room he killed Lust, but he wants to make it an agonizing death for envy.

He's literally toying with him.
Hmmm, that's true, he did seem to be a bit slow compared to when he dealt with Lust. When I compare, he really is less efficient compared to back then. I guess he really wants to prolong the satisfaction of his vengeance. That and he isn't half-dead and doesn't need to get his half-dead pal treated.

Hmmm, I see that part of the story in a new light now. I can see why there would be some worry that Roy is a bit too heated up, no pun intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I am okay that they removed the comical scenes to keep the situation more tense. However, they don't have to make Ed OOC in the process and look like he is terrified at what Roy did, when he clearly wasn't in the manga.
I don't see it as being terrified. More like...hmm...horrified, or displeased and distressed. In the manga, Roy burnt their legs. In the anime he killed them all. And you know how Ed feels about killing; he refuses to kill. Remember when he was pinned by Envy back and when Ling was made into Greed? Ed couldn't even bear to shoot that human face/soul that was part of Envy's body.

Ed still sees those one-eyed creatures as human--as having human souls. And as being victims of a horrible experiment. That's why they showed him looking all emo about fighting them, and about Roy killing them.

I thought it was a bit cheesy, and maybe overdone, but it's not really OOC or unnatural for Ed to react how he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Sure they're not the same on that level, though what Endless Twilight meant was that Mustang is going down the path of enjoying the amount of pain he's dealing onto Envy, just like Envy has done in the past. They're the same in that regard.
Hmm, maybe. I still think it's a disservice to paint them so similarly though. Enjoying the fact that random folk are suffering, and enjoying the fact that your friend's murderer is suffering--there's an important difference in character there (in this case anyway). Neither is especially commendable, but I think just saying "they're the same" or "they both enjoy others' suffering" is too much of a gloss.

It's like saying "Envy and Hawkeye are the same because they both kill". It's painting with a big brush. They're only "the same" because important details and differences between them are being left out.

Last edited by Grey; 2010-04-19 at 19:20.