View Single Post
Old 2012-07-10, 04:10   Link #28
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
I'm interested in knowing what kind of scores stood out to you, seeing as how Yuki Kajiura's compositions are considered some of the most distinct in the current anime OST word. Some of Yoko Kanno's compositions, perhaps?

I understand that music is a highly subjective topic, and this is just my opinion on the matter. While I concur that her sounds are homogenous in nature, I do believe that her scores are able to brilliantly augment the emotions of the scenes, which is what a good score strives to achieve. Where any other score would probably have made the explanation scene just another bit of exposition, her's managed to strongly convey the sense of dread and the epic scale of the this undertaking. Similarly her music was able to capture and heighten the scenes in Madoka and Fate/Zero.

But I agree, the opening is rather run-of-the-mill. There's nothing that really stands out about this standard J-pop fare, and the OP isn't very creative with it either.
Just never seen what the big deal is really and why she gets so much more attention and mention than other composers. To me she's just kind of okay and still has a ton of room for improvement before I'd ever really think to esteem her work especially highly. I don't consider having her as a composer here a detriment by any means, but I've never felt particularly moved by her music (but for one scene during the climax of Madoka Magica) or felt the desire to go out and get her soundtracks like I have for others.

As for composers that have stood out to me, lots. I'm a big fan of Senjuu Akira who most recently did the score for Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, as well as of course Yoko Kanno (the only other name besides Kaijura that really seems to come up in conversations about anime music now that I think of it) who is one of the more experimental composers to have ever had a place in the industry. Hisaishi Joe is another composer whose music has really stood out to me over the years as have Masamichi Amano, Kohei Tanaka and Kenji Kawai. I'm also a growing fan of Hiroyuki Sawano as well as Kaoru Wada. All of them have kind of done for me what Kaijura has failed to do much of the time but apparently has for so many others and that is get me really invested not only in the moment of the anime I'm watching, but to take notice of the compositions themselves and have done so on a fairly regular basis.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote