View Single Post
Old 2012-09-07, 12:14   Link #652
Karakuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I think the issue is just basically that it comes across as if Asuna doesn't even get a choice about her own destiny. When I watched the episode with my sister, that was the first thing she pointed out: that the two guys were fighting over her when she should be able fight for herself (that they were turning her into a damsel in distress). Part of that is that the scene in the anime was so short so Asuna didn't even get a word in edge-wise. I pointed out basically the same thing that people have said here: I think the guild leader was just using this to manipulate Kirito given that he had the opportunity, so it actually reflects more poorly on him that he's jumping at this chance to fight without thinking about Asuna's feelings. Asuna, for her part, was just trying to defer respectfully to the guild leadership, even if she didn't really like it (because she just wants to take a break, not to give up her position and quit).

In the end, like I said before, it can look bad at first glance, but there are also other explanations that make sense. It depends on how it gets resolved in the end (like, if the next episode cuts straight to the battle, or if it cuts to Asuna going "what the hell were you thinking?!" ).
Yeah, it does seem bad at first glance, but it isn't all that bad. Everyone knows Heathcliff gave her ( and probably all the other " vice-something " ) a guard, yes, that guard was a rookie compared to Kirito, but...Why would Heathcliff let her get out, and go party only with Kirito? She could be easily endangered by the fact they were going as a duo, without anyone else to protect them. People see him acting as a " greedy guy ", but...people could also see him like he cared for them. If Kirito joins, they'll have many people to help them, in case they're in danger, because they're most likely going to party most of the times ( even though sometimes they'll go duo ). Just like they won't let her by herself at those cities ( which are 100% secure ) they gave her a bodyguard so she wouldn't be bothered by fans. Why not give them a chance to be protected by a guild, instead of going alone? Risks are high in this situation, and losing 2 TOP players would be an insane loss to the Front Lines. Even more because 1 of them is the vice-comander who does all the strategy, and the other one is someone who has an unique ability which will help them a lot, if he uses it.
Plus - She wants to be with Kirito. The only reason she asked for a " time off " is because she wanted to be with Kirito ( If she could be with Kirito inside the guild, she wouldn't mind, I'm quite sure. But since Kirito doesn't want to be in a guild, she either stays out from the guild for a short period of time, or he joins ). She doesn't have that much stress when she's with Kirito. Atleast I can't see any stresses. If she can stay with Kirito, even inside the guild, why not get him to join? everyone would win with Kirito joining KoB.
I just can't see what Heathcliff is doing as something bad...

Last edited by Karakuri; 2012-09-07 at 12:34.
Karakuri is offline   Reply With Quote