View Single Post
Old 2009-04-04, 16:49   Link #47
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
Hum i understand what you mean but i have some problem with that. I'm someone who really don't like lying and when i lie i'm feeling bad about it. So if i must say a compliment to an old woman i will say that "she is charming for her age" but i won't only say "she is charming" because it's a half lie for me. I think you can be polite and honest at the same time even if sometimes it's difficult.

Some people said that politeness and respect is not the same but i don't agree here. Politeness is, by extension, a sort of respect. When you say "Hello" to a
bus driver, you're not only saying "hello". You're showing him that you respect him and respect what he did. And i think it's something very important that people must do.
I won't say that people shall not lie. But it depends on the situation. Few examples:

- If a man that scares me ask me if I have already a BF, I will reply yes, in hope that that man will stop to talk to me. It's a lie, but in this particular case, I think it would be the best choice.

- Now on normal and/or serious topics with normal people, I don't think there is a need to lie just to be polite. I guess the other people personnality. If it's somebody who is, for example, susceptible, or if I fail at guessing said personnality, I will handle him/her with kid gloves. No need to be rough, or to lie. Just be gently.

Being polite doesn't equal lying.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote