View Single Post
Old 2004-09-28, 04:07   Link #7
kujoe
from head to heel

I don't know what your main thesis is, but first of all I think you should define exactly what Western and Eastern animation are. What makes them different from one another? How are they related? How did they come to be? And how do you define animation in this context and why do you consider such a definition in this context? Are you limiting the term to theatrical animation, animated TV shows, or simply animation from ads to short clips. Etc., etc. For example, animated stuff from Korea or China may be also called "Eastern animation."

Culture also plays a large role in how animation is perceived by its core audience, as AnimeOni says. But since we live in a globalized era, the boundaries of culture have become blurred. Culture is shared, hence we see Western influences in Eastern animation and vice-versa.

And oh, what Roots said should also be taken into consideration. The anonymity that the internet provides will make it hard for you to cite us as your sources. I doubt "anime forums" will look good on your bibliography.

As for me, what do I prefer? It's already pretty obvious, but I can also enjoy Western animation. What's good is good is all I can say. However, I'm more biased for anime because of the variety it possesses. Moreover, anime is arguably a subculture.

Anyway, good luck with your paper.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote