View Single Post
Old 2008-01-22, 22:07   Link #18790
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkirk View Post
Sounds fishy to me, but anyway...

Supposedly about anti-terror warfare.
New characters:
Amano Asuka - 18 years old. Special forces (army) Major. (whoa rank inflation )
Indeed. It is barf-inducing when you realize that it is probably not Special Forces (a mistake, to be fair, that Saburo Sakai the Ace Pilot made too), but Special Duty. Taking the historical meaning (WWII Japan) It means Amano was supposed to have started as enlisted, climbed about 9 ranks to heisocho (or ~5 ranks socho in MGLN), and then finally she becomes a Special Duty Lieutenant, after which she climbs up to Special Forces Major.

And she holds two qualifications? Air AA and Land A+? Is it like she went to A+ before deciding to go air, or what?

I also saw "excellent soldier". And "likes power".

And why are they using kanji for the names. I know a disgustingly large amount of Japanese had somehow been sucked onto Midchildra (why not Chinese, Russians, Germans, French, Italians, Americans, Saudi, Iraqi, Iranian, Somalians...), but they should have naturalized by now!

Quote:
Hokuto Kusanagi - 16 years old. Army Captain. Humaritt (Combat Cyborg). Modern Belka. The daughter of the Kusanagi couple in the Dominators, her upbringing was complicated.
What? I can't even read the characters "16" on that sheet:
http://www.akibablog.net/archives/im...01-21-406.html

Oh, so the Dominators are a family business.

Quote:
New unit called the Dominators. A lot of choice words are just in the greyed out areas, and I don't want to try and identify blobs. Anyway, it's where Asuka et al are. They go up against Nanoha, and Hayate, predicting the political fallout, reassembles the old Riot 6 members in secret.
What is important is the plot. After the Scarlietti farce (considered equal to 9-11), the Midchildran public decides to get serious about Homeland Security. So they create this new security organization (note that they are going for Army ranks rather than SDF style ranks) called the "Dominators", with each world donating forces. The Ground Forces is placed under its control and even TSAB HQ is in danger of suffering same.

This organization is given wide powers over the people. Hayate, fearing the abuse of power in this new organization, assembles the old members of RF6.

Within that organization, there's an elite unit known as the Knight (Night?) Riders, some of whose members have a fierce rivalry towards the aces.

Whatever comes out of this story in terms of plot and characterization, I can already see tactics getting a kick in the teeth... at least some of the following will happen:
1) They will screw up the tactics for this new organization as well, making it as dumb as the TSAB, thus making us wonder why they bothered making a new one.
2) They will confuse cruelty and un-necessary ruthlessness with tactics.
3) They will actually improve enough not to fail miserably in the tactics department. Unfortunately, our heroines are not in that unit, and the general thrust of this new unit makes it too good a target not to attack. Thus, they will fail miserably at some point or another. This is not a problem - even the best forces fail from time to time, but that's when our tactically inept heroes take over and win by brute force and/or befriending speeches, making a joke out of tactics.

I am already shaking with dread and disgust. Chances of a good result is almost zero in this setup. Someone help me to the washroom. I feel the vomit coming on...

Oh yeah, if anyone wants to continue this in Generic Discussion or someplace other than here...