View Single Post
Old 2013-04-16, 06:35   Link #99
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronnoponno View Post
First, I want to see some numbers for this.
I don't have a link off hand, and I'm not going to scour the internet for the interview, but in an interview it was stated that there are more female fans at these events than male fans. Reason? They absolutely love the voice actors.

Quote:
Second, even if it did have a higher female fanbase, what does that prove?
That you're wrong about it being a game that only men enjoy.

Quote:
How does that change anything? The fans it happens to attract does not change what it was originally aimed after, what tropes it plays and what gender it those tropes benefit the most.
It means you clearly don't know Tales and are just looking at it as superficially as possible. You look at the main character and denounce the entire game based on said character. Last I checked, every game has at least 6 characters who, while maybe not the "main" character, just almost as much screen time.

Quote:
Now if you can find me an interview where the developers state that it was intended for a gender-neutral audience first before anything else I would take back what I said.
You're the one making the claim that it's made for males. I'm making the claim that it is made to be a game to appeal to all fans, and data from real life supports that. Interviews with them have only had them say they make it "for Japan", which indicates that they aren't specifying a gender. The games are made by males, so there's bound to be some bias in terms of story and design (though one of the two character designers is female), but they are not made "for men", only "by men". They know that a vast majority of their sales come from females because they love the male voice actors and characters.

Quote:
Basically, you can aim your stuff at a certain gender but have a majority of the other gender(or alarmingly high amount) get into it anyway, that doesn't change what gender it was primarily focused on.
Please provide me an interview that shows Namco Bandai stating that Tales Of is focused on males.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
90% of the favorite character rankings are filled with Bishounen- something completely unheard of if male fans were in charge.
This too. I'm pretty sure Milla is the only female character to crack the top 10.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote