View Single Post
Old 2012-10-06, 07:07   Link #915
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
It have been defined since as early as 2002 iirc. And it's quite possible that it's also a widesprad phenomenon in the world. We have all meet someone who is delusional as hell and can't get over that delusion. It could be that scrawny nerd who suddenly takes on a gangsta persona, taking on the mannerisms of Scarface or gangster stereotypes, goths who are a little too much into their things, metalheads who takes the occult schtick of their genre litterally and starts acting out sacrifices by slicing a chick's throat over a grave. Some are amusing, many are amusing and a few are just plain worrying.
Well, it's not like I get what you're talking about, but most of the time those kinds of instances are superficial at best. I don't think I've ever met anyone who was actually delusional. The fact that they have a specific term for it in Japan suggests that such incidents aren't simply outliers over there and are relatively more frequent.

If you ask me, it's a good example of doublethink in action. That is, holding two contradicting beliefs without them inducing any form of cognitive dissonance.