View Single Post
Old 2009-10-13, 01:12   Link #2990
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbob0008 View Post
The one thing that makes me wonder is whether Aya Hirano is okay with her character being out on the sidelines so much. I don't know how things are done in Japan, but in Hollywood, such a situation would often lead to the actor demanding more screen time even if it meant changing the plot to do so. A LOT of good shows were ruined because of stuff like that.
Probably not going to earn any points among her rabid fans by saying this, but I focus on the necessity of the franchise—the novel series—and not the it's-nice-to-haves. When it comes to the Haruhi franchise, Aya Hirano is replaceable. Nagaru Tanigawa is not.

INB4 more "you hate Haruhi" rhetoric. This does not mean I dislike Aya Hirano's performance (far from it) or her as a person (don't know her), I'm just pragmatic. The novels, in other words, the source of new Haruhi information, are created by Tanigawa. If the anime franchise withers and dies, that does nothing to diminish the quality of that source material or keep someone 20-30 years down the road from resurrecting it. Nor, frankly, should it keep him from writing more novels, as long as his level of output remains high. He is the center if the franchise, no matter who directly makes the most money or is the most recognizable face.