View Single Post
Old 2012-05-19, 09:40   Link #19
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Eh... "smart" is a little too vague and subjective of a term for me to believe. Your rank in your class is determined by a grade score, not some metaphysical gauge of natural intellect. Eru can be the top of her class through effort as well. She doesn't have to be naturally smart like Houtarou at all.
This is true. Even Chitanda herself says that getting good grades just means that she understands the pieces/parts . . . ergo the bits you can pick up through study. Oreki makes her curious because he clearly grasps how all those parts and pieces work together in a whole system.

Quote:
In the same fashion as Watson and Holmes, I think Eru just serves as a foil to bring out Houtarou's talents, which would normally go unrecognized by the public eye.
I'd say that 'Watson' is served by Satoshi, Mayaka, and Eru together. Though Eru also serves as half of Houtarou's Holmes. Without Eru, Houtarou has all the brains, but no motivation to apply his considerable powers of deduction. As has been said in another thread, he's more like Mycroft Holmes, rather than Sherlock Holmes . . . at least until you mix in a little HYPNOTOAD Eru. She provides the curiosity and motivation that Houtarou would otherwise lack.