View Single Post
Old 2012-07-18, 06:55   Link #41
MartianMage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Minor presence? Tougeki is the American equivelant of the American EVO (eventhough it's much bigger).
Define your own definition of cult status? Major fighting games in the USA like even Marvel vs Capcom 3 or Mortal Kombat are "cult status" games in japan, because it's hardly played at tourament level.
Likewise vice versa is also true, games like Melty blood and guilty gear are not played much in the USA while it was played alot in many japanese tournaments like A-cho. Heck, even blazblue can be considered to be a cult status game in the USA seeing that it was not even included in EVO this year.
One with a small following obviously. And you basically answered yourself in your post. MVC is also played in Japan surely not as much as SF but it is being played and also appears in tourneys and yes it is a cult hit in japan. So what makes SS being in a tourney any different? The fact that it only appeared for 2 years show how minor the support is for the game.

Quote:
What are you een talking about? 真説サムライスピリッツ武士道列伝 -ドラマCD was mainly about her, but the other drama was not entirely about her. Of course she is going to be popular and prominent, because she was one of the 2 female characters of the original first game (and the only recurring one in almost every game). She is like the Chun Li of Samurai spirits in that regard, but she acts more like a Mascot than Chun Li.
Now you're just writing it off as "she's female of course she is popular" :-/

Quote:
BRS was incidental, it's not like every other random popular MAD or AMV character have become popular enough to get it's own series. Unless you can name me some more examples.
Of course not but the fact of the matter is character design can spawn that much. Can you say the same for all plain looking characters who do great things in their unknown series?

Quote:
Doesn't this mean that your main reason for it was not primary the character design? You are contradicting your own post that started this discussion
... Kind of amusing how I predicted this kind of reply... It's not like I am making some sort of trap but hey since you already posted it...

My reason for watching Madoka Magica does not have any relevance in this subject nor does it contradict my initial post. Like I said I went into the show completely blind... No promos no commercials and whatsoever the only thing I know is that it is made by Shaft and is obviously a magical girl show. Tell me how does this contradict my initial post? What are you going to say if I did see it's commercials and I went into it because I liked the designs? It seems to me you are trying to make an argument out of anything. :-/

Quote:
That's like asking why Marvel and DC redesigned thor, Iron Man, green lantern, spiderman,
batman or many other characters over the years.
The answer is like C.A. has already pointed out: appeal.
Your audience and times have changed, so of course you have to adjust it to their current
tastes.
This pretty much closes the argument.

Even in written works a character's outside appearance is always established first the moment that character is available for scrutiny before delving any further. It does not go the other way around.
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!

Last edited by MartianMage; 2012-07-18 at 07:21.
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote