View Single Post
Old 2013-01-29, 12:07   Link #27
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Bold the part that is pretty much a base description of culture. Regardless of how they feel about it, they know that the group is more important then themselves, and thus will sacrifice their needs and wants to it. And yes, every culture has some semblance of group... but Japan is an extreme example of it. That's all I was getting at. As a result, they don't have much polarization of their society.

Edit: I suppose a better term for it, that would be the opposite of polarization, would be that they strive for "social harmony."
I guess what I was getting at is that it's not that they necessary think the group is more important, but they realize the pitfalls should they try to buck the trend - the ostracization of those seen as not following the norm is very real, especially in Japan.

Using your example, I would say they're striving for social harmony...with a "or else..." small text underneath

@ solace

I know, I was referring more to the "I can't wrap my head around not being interested and curious about human history" part of it, not everyone is going to be interested in studying history etc.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote