View Single Post
Old 2013-01-31, 08:11   Link #79
Sunder the Gold

If my words have been ambiguous or unclear, I apologize. I have been trying to be clear.

I disagree that generalizing or specializing impacts the efficacy of the avatar. All avatars and bonuses are equal. It's the users and situations that imbalance the odds.

Spiral Gravity Driver sucks because of author error. As I've said in Taku's thread, an attack like that should be Instant Death.

Cyan Pile muddies the issue about choosing bonuses outside of one's color specialty, since his initial abilities seem somewhat outside of it. One can pretend he's on the purple side of Blue, but his official position (and the color cyan) are on the green side.

But yes, just as Silver Crow could choose a ranged attack, I believe Scarlet Rain could have improved her close combat ability in some way. Perhaps a mecha more like the Mega-Machine, which has hands and therefore fists.

If you look at those pictures of Cyan Pile, you will notice that his stance is different. In the first, he is leaning forward, turning his chest away from the Pile Driver. In the second picture, he is leaning back, bracing the Driver against his chest.

Likely, the first stance is risky, reducing balance and accuracy to extend his range. Since it's for the basic attack, he can better afford to miss, and the range is not so long that another foot of reach would be pointless.

Likely, the second stance is intended to control the recoil of the Cyan Lightning Spike, retaining balance and accuracy for a shot that already leaves him vulnerable and absolutely needs to hit.

Either way, he can't use the Splash Stinger. The first stance would fire off target. Though, if an enemy happens to be approaching from that angle...

Given your fair point about Rain, it is possible that her original special attack was some more modest form of Hailstorm Domination. Perhaps she always had some form of missile launcher, but one that needed SP to use?

Last edited by Sunder the Gold; 2013-01-31 at 08:21.