View Single Post
Old 2013-03-22, 16:26   Link #140
jesh462

Thanks XGeneral2000! I appreciate the suggestions, too. I'm definitely bumping Steins;Gate up to the top of my list, but for now I'm away from home and can only go off of what I have with me, which is actually quite a lot of anime lol.
I'll add your other suggestions and definitely look into them. Surprisingly my to do list is getting rather short.

I haven't yet finished Saiunkoku Monogatari, but I did watch the first 39 episodes. I think it'd be best to list out pros and cons for this one.
*I love the setting. Something about it, maybe the strong Chinese influence, makes this show almost seem historical rather than fantasy. Almost everything is believable and tangible. It feels like somewhere, in a land far far away, it could have happened.
*By extension, that same historical feel is very nostalgic to me, in a way reminding me of Fushigi Yuugi and Ayashi no Ceres. It makes me feels like I'm watching a classic unfold in front of me.
*So many beautiful characters, all with their own personalities and stories, interweaving, connecting and unfolding in a complex ballet. God, I love this show. Honestly of all the anime I've seen, I think this one manages the large and complex cast the best.
*The music! While there is one tune that sounds a little electronic and out of place, the rest of the soundtrack is incredible. I love the instrument arrangements and the way that the music chosen solidifies the world of Saiunkoku. The music that plays as emotional events unfold is especially memorable, up there with the theme song for Uchuu no Stellvia, although obviously much different.
I was going to try to find a link to the particular piece I love on youtube, but after searching for more than an hour, I give up. It shows up multiple times throughout the episodes, but you can find it in episode 27 about 6 minutes in, although it's not set as prominently as other times.
*Many strong female characters. Better yet, none of them seem to be a pure stereotype. Seien might be the most stereotypical character as a plain strong and silent type. He's still very likeable, though. Also maybe Korin could be the token tsundere or whatever. Luckily I don't have to see her on screen too much.

And finally, the cons.
*It's very hard remembering everyone's name. After finishing the first season, I think I have about 90% of it down right.
This problem could have been alleviated by less names that start with SH but eh. It's a very minor complaint. No matter how bad season 2 is, this show makes my favorites! Thanks to thundrakkon, MUAHAHAHAHAHA and SeijiSensei for suggesting it.

Last edited by jesh462; 2013-03-22 at 17:48.
jesh462 is offline   Reply With Quote