View Single Post
Old 2007-08-14, 14:32   Link #62
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmm, I certainly got a pile of the "lucky*star I was looking for" (from the manga). Problem is they threw so much Hiyori at us that it kind of diminished her funny to me. So I've dinged it a bit for "organization of material" since it looked like they just culled all the Hiyori strips out and lined them up. Where's our huggable snaggletooth and our American transfer anime-fan?

It almost slipped under the radar that we got a lot of nice "Nanako moments" out of this episode. She *soooo* needs to find a guy .... it is insane because she's so enjoyable: slim, attractive woman that plays net games, likes to drink, has a great laugh and wry sense of humor. Yeesh (takes some time out to slap the crap out of the male japanese citizenry).

A bit of hilarity with Kona traipsing around in her sports undies and her explanation (Japan has been instituting official summer 'dress down' to combat over-usage of air conditioning and save energy).

I actually like the anime-only Gundam sequence, mostly because it was an obvious skewer of the tactics used to obfuscate references. The dialog ran like a bit of Monty Python absurdity with nice use of noises.

Minami and Yutaka have some lovely moments --- Minami's VA is showing quite a bit of quality in evoking emotion with such spare dialog (I may have to nudge Asakawa Yuu over a bit if Chihara Minori keeps improving at the zen minimalist style).

Using my criteria, I *should* give this a "10" for being so much Lucky*Star but I threw a "9" because I thought the choice and organization of material was less than brilliant.