View Single Post
Old 2006-10-16, 10:06   Link #97
kuromitsu

(Everyone keeps saying "Ouran and Yamato nadeshiko are not the similar! They can't be compared to each other!" So... I wonder, why is everyone still comparing them to each other? ^^;;; No, really, it's been going on for the last couple of pages, no-one's talking about anything else.)

Anyway, I can see why the two could be compared: both are bishounen manga/anime (I'd say harem but people'd bite me for it) that try to make fun of the genre in their own ways. The thing is, in my opinion, Ouran does a much better job at it, especially the anime (I don't really like where the manga's been going in the recent chapters) that managed to transcend the genre boundaries which is, I believe, all thanks to Enokido Youji (the guy who wrote FLCL, Melody of Oblivion, and most importantly, Utena). I can't say much about the Yamato nadeshiko anime, as it just started, but the manga, while had a good start (managed to keep me reading even though I really disliked the art), lost its momentum quite early and turned into a standard bishounen sitcom fluff without any direction, character development or pretense of a story. The only interesting character is Sunako, and even she became boring after some time. In my opinion, of course, everyone is welcome to disagree.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote