View Single Post
Old 2004-03-29, 15:20   Link #8
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Question: How is cosplaying viewed outside of Japan?

Reason why I ask this question is because I do know that in the United States, you have a day called Halloween where you go out trick-or-treating for candy by wearing costumes. Now, is Halloween reserved for kids like "animations/cartoons are for kids," or do adults go along as well? If so, then I refer back to the original question, "are people outside of Japan more open to costume-wearing events?"
You're never too old to take SOME part in halloween. Young kids usually have a blast because they get lots and lots of free candy. Kids in their teens have a blast because they simultaneously pull pranks AND get free candy. Adults usually accompany children or hand out candy to children. That's pretty much how it works.

There are also a lot of people that hold "costume parties", but those a bit more rare. However, dressing up in costumes outside of Halloween is usually looked upon as being REALLY weird, especially anime cosplay because many people think all anime is hentai.

In short, people are open to costume-wearing events as long as its not some sort of convention. People attending conventions are seen as weirdos. People that attend conventions AND dress up are just avoided by the general public.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote