Thread: Licensed Bakuman
View Single Post
Old 2009-04-06, 01:48   Link #210
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Let me put this clearly: I'm the idealistic type. I'm the kind of idiot who believes in True Love and Soul Mates and Passion and pink skies and fluffy clouds all that sort of thing. I'm the airhead whose favorite song is Kiss Me from Sixpence None the Richer. I can't stand overly realistic relationships in my manga or the ones where they get all complicated and tangled up. I like the perfect happy endings straight from Jane Austen. I'm supposed to be the one loving their "pure love."

And I thought it was cute. For the first few chapters.

But now I feel nothing when the topic of their "love" comes up. It just feels so fake, so empty, like a statement of an empirical fact rather than any sort of passionate, idealistic love. It's like the authors put it there just because it was supposed to be there; like they forgot for a while writing about more interesting things and come back to it because someone -- their editor? Ha! -- reminds them that it was there. If that's what you don't feel, fine, but that's what I feel -- and I think what a lot of other people feel as well when they read the manga.