Thread: Portal 2
View Single Post
Old 2011-04-25, 12:16   Link #94
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
No, what I'd like is that the "puzzle" for things that aren't supposed to be contrived tests is in figuring out how to use the objects in the environment to win in a clever way.

Like, say, take the final boss and make it so that there's 3 pipes leaking the three fluids, but basically straight down on the floor, however you can portal much of the floors and walls.
Then it's up to you to figure out how and where to paint the different goo to get to the various cores. Plus, the cores could be randomly dropped instead of appearing in fixed positions. The boss could periodically wash away some of the goo just to make things more interesting, etc...

Would this make the game harder? Sure. But it wouldn't be luck based. It'd be practice, and skill based, in addition to puzzle solving.

As it was now, I beat the final boss on my first try, and my thought process was basically "hmm, that panel is white, so I should portal there". or "the floor has acceleration goo, so I should run along there". It was reverse engineering the environment instead of figuring out how to manipulate the environment to do what you want.
If the cores were randomly dropped, it would mean that the core would be easier or harder to reach depending on your current location, your gel placements, and how much time you have left.

Let me ask you, how is that suppose to be fair?

And you only have two minutes gap between each core. You get 1 minute to figure out the puzzle, and one minute leeway for failing to execute the puzzle before succeeding.

And "practice"? I think you mean "dying a lot".

If you want seriously hard puzzles, Co-op is where they all are. And I am sure there would be future DLC that would add even harder things.

Valve said they could have made the Single Player as hard as they liked. But it would just end up with players quitting in frustration. Their job isn't to stop you from seeing the ending, or why even bother have an ending? This isn't the Arcades, where Valve needs you to insert more quarters into the machine so you could get more Continues.

Everyone who use their head can reach the Single Player ending. That is the entire goal of Valve in designing the Portal 2 level difficulty.