View Single Post
Old 2012-08-20, 03:42   Link #32
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
To the OP: Your problem with underrated/overrated is that you're working under the false assumption that good writing should equate to a popular series.
If the popularity is the same meaning as recognition or established name like Gen Urobuchi, that's what I was intending my topic to be. After all most DVD with the name Gen Urobuchi attached and under the right conditions, it will most likely sell like hotcakes. This guy is most likely pretty much the one responsible for bringing the series composition into the anime topics. Before then all they discussed was all about anime and sometimes the director and the music. So, it's quite strange when you see a DVD that sells a lot of copies just because a certain name is attached.

Say if Sankarea was written by Hiroyuki Yoshino, it would have been entirely different anime and probably sell better than it is now. It sold poorly because the credit is made of team that are not that well-known in the business.

By now, he is pretty inactive but I thought Jun Maeda was overrated too. I heard he had dual responsibility with his KEY anime for writing and music. While it's impressive and all, I found most of his work forgettable and quite uneventful. I had a very hard time watching any Key works mostly because of distracting character design. All I can remember are the bug eyes and a few emotional scenes. The plot was far too slow to be immersed in and not to mention some of them were too cheesy to take it serious.

While Yoshitoshi Abe is good at writing good psychological characters, everything he wrote is mostly similar, down-to-earth and slice-of-life story. He doesn't seem to want to write a new stuff, nowadays, he only writes Ryoshika Ryoshika.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote