Thread: Licensed Mushishi
View Single Post
Old 2006-10-11, 12:23   Link #565
Cal-Reflector

I should mention an observation I made whilst living in Japan that went contrary to a previously long-held perception (and those of many others, I think) of mine: The grand majority of people in Japan are not into manga, and far less so into anime. True, the stand-reading manga stores and book stores are always filled, they read tons, but their variety of manga is so humongous a series could be considered popular if just say, one in twelve people, have read or at least heard of it.

I don't know how the polls were announced, through what medium, but that should've affected the constituency of the responders significantly. A dead giveaway though should be how no female-oriented titles made the top ten manga list at all.

All that said, I'm glad Mushishi ranked so high, and the respondants' results look quite reasonable to my understanding. In fact, even though I love Mushishi so much, I don't think even I would've placed it in Top Ten Greatest of All Time for either category.

Same goes for GITS SAC, which I also love, but understand that its a sophisticated show that can only be enjoyed by a small proportion of the general audience.

The list was here:
For the 10th anniversary of the Japan Media Arts Festival, Japanese fans were asked to vote on the top 10 anime and manga of all time. Over 80,000 votes were received in the anime category, and just under 79,000 in the manga category (people were allowed to vote for up to 10 titles).

Of the top ten manga, the only one I am somewhat skeptical of is Death Note. Of the Top Ten anime, Mushishi and GITS SAC, both of which are my favorites, I'm somewhat skeptical of (if only because they're too recent and thus stand at a disadvantage in "All Time" Polls).

By the way,
#11 to #25 for both departments are:

Anime:

11. Dragon Ball Series
12. Mononoke Hime
13. Akira
14: Sen to CHihiro
15. Doraemon
16. FMA: Conqueror of Shambala
17. Kureno Buta
18. Legend of Galactic Heroes
19. Don't know it, won't bother to look it up, its from the 2000s though
20. Gundam: CHar's Counterattack
21. Card Captor Sakura
22. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuitsu
23. Kamichu!
24. Patlabor 2, the Movie
25. Z-Gundam.

Manga:
11. One Piece
12. Parasite
13. Yotsubato
14: Don't know
15. Akira
16. Azumanga Daioh
17. The Animal's Doctor
18. Yuyuhakushu
19. Monster
20. Ushio-Totora (never heard of)
21. HunterxHunter
22. Hellsing
23. Houkuto no Ken/Fist of North Star (Hard to believe that this one is so low)
24. Never heard of it
25. Never heard of it