View Single Post
Old 2007-04-07, 00:28   Link #4
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Ooh, I love threads like this! It's almost as good a going shopping for yourself.

Before I can evaluate your components, there's a big thing you left out: what do you use your computer for? What do you see yourself doing with it in the future? The tasks you want to do make a difference; some motherboards have very few SATA slots (if you need a lot of storage and want to use your system as a server), others have few RAM slots/limited RAM support (important if you want to do 3D rendering), etc.

As for piecing everything together, I think it's pretty easy. Installing the CPU to the motherboard can be scary, just because you don't want to risk breaking anything. I think what's worse is getting the heatsink on. In my case, I scraped off the default thermal paste and put on some Arctic silver. I had no idea if I'd put on too much or too little, or if it had spread right, and worse, you need to let it settle in for a day or so of activity before it reaches optimum operation (in other words, until you can tell whether you messed up or not). Overall, not so bad though.

About the sata slots, the gigabyte one has 8. I think 8 is more than enough. It's not like I am going to buy a lot of HDD.

About the cpu issue all i know if the p3 and the athlon xp 2200 that I got and it simply was too attach to the mb and that's it. You talk about thermal paste... well I rather not go that way. :P

About the video card. Last time I didn't inform well and I was in a hurry to get 1 and so I bought the GF4 MX. Piece of crap that didn't have pixel shader and so I couldn't play a lot of games. It's not like I play the game with max settings. As long as it has some reasonable setting so that it wont look bad and it wont drag either. That's why I am going to 2G of ram too.

Anyway no 3D rendering here. Mostly games and anime. For anime I can be sure that it wont drag with those high definitions like with my current PC.
To be honest what is making me buy a new PC is that I can't play all h264 encodes. There for I need a new PC.