View Single Post
Old 2012-07-11, 23:49   Link #70
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
On the subject of awards, I'll simply say that... awards are given out every year. And yes, awards are primarily a popularity contest, especially where "art" is concerned. They see what people are clamoring for, and that factors into their decision (imagine the outcry if they gave awards to something that a lot of people disliked).

So, as was said, the only real factor is time. How does it hold up years later, and against everything else that won a lot of awards?

For an interesting illustration of this, check out the rankings on a site like anime-planet.com. Gintama' is listed at #8, while Grave of the Fireflies is listed at #108. And yet, I think most of us would agree Grave of the Fireflies is a masterpiece, while the second season of Gintama wasn't so good (though it had its moments).

Thus, popularity is not a good judge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Evangelion is a different beast altogether though. While deeply flawed, it altered the very nature of the industry, revolutionized animated characterization and storytelling. It confronted creators how they went about their trade. Still controversial and discussed to this day, only one word comes to my mind to describe it: art.
Which is why I said that Evangelion and Madoka were landmark pieces, because they shifted the norm of their genre. Just because it isn't a masterpiece, doesn't mean it isn't bad. It's really okay; just because something isn't a masterpiece, doesn't make it bad. I don't call my favorite series a masterpiece, either. And Nanoha did things that, not only has nothing in the MG genre ever done before or since, but that rarely happens in anime at all.

But per dictionary definition, it is something done with the utmost skill. And something produced that has visible flaws, isn't something that was done with the utmost skill. Something with flaws can still be good and have meaning, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartianMage View Post
However I would like to point out that the definition I've presented is not exactly "my definition" of the word. More like it is the very definition of the word...a fact.
Just an FYI, but wikipedia is generally a bad source to quote. It's a place to start your research, but you should be aiming for the sources that Wikipedia quotes.

And if you're going to look for a definition, then the dictionary is the best place to start.

Spoilers
Spoiler for The plot of the movie "The Sixth Sense"
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2012-07-12 at 20:33. Reason: Too late, but spoiler tag added...