View Single Post
Old 2004-01-25, 14:28   Link #2
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooc
While having rules is a good thing,
I think that having rules is not only a good thing, but it's a GREAT thing! But the thing you don't (and not only you it seems) understand is that while the rules are strict, they are not there because GHDPro likes to annoying you or pisses you off. They are there to make this forum more liveable and clean. There is ALWAYS a reason for a rule, they are not there just to make number.

Quote:
having too many of then or being a "text book" is not.
I guess you are talking about "strict" moderators, right? Well, they are just doing their "job" as moderators. If someone from the staff feels that a thread should be closed, be sure that this is not to piss you off, but to preserve the tidiness of the forums. Your "Who is the weakest char" got closed? Why don't you try to look at it the other way? There are already plenty of "What..are you?" threads, and most of them are ..useless, yet they are open.

Quote:
I get the impression that some of you mods see a forum as some kind of referenve book for posters;
And I get the impression that some of you are not considering the fact that the whole staff is working FOR you, spending some of their _free_ time to look over this forum (Which is not exactly "small" ). After the 70th thread that is obviously made without a glance at the rules, someone might want to bash you to show that the posts are going the wrong way.
What did Mao said? "Hit one to educate 100".

Quote:
"Search first before posting". This is ok if the post is purely a fact question,
But it's good even if you have any kind of thread in mind. Reviving a thread is a way to give life to an argument, you don't have to start a new thread to say something, if this something was already started by someone.

Quote:
but most of the time it is not.
Right. If someone asks in the DL help forum "How do I fix (error present in the guide)" or "Who is your favorite anime character" I don't see much difference. It's either close (And use the search function) or merge, because the thread itself is already present!

Quote:
Also, most of the time different people will reply.
That's exactly why you should revive a thread, and not create a new one with the same title. If you create a new one, you will kill the old one's discussions, link/images/posts/whatever. You are tossing away a thread, that, with your help, could revive in a new discussion. If you revive a thread more people will join, and old posters will share their opinions again.

Quote:
A thread is always somewhat unique, because it is unique in that point of time.
Reviving or Starting is not different IMHO.

Quote:
I think there are some who are too triggerhappy.
If you think someone here shouldn't be a staff member, please, feel free to say so. But be sure to analyze what he/she do for the forum, and not only your selfish thoughs. "He closed my thread" doesn't count.
Experience will bring better results, and you are a part of this forum's growth. Don't work against us, work with us.

Quote:
Also, too strict rules will backfire. Makes the forum boring and not "alive".
I agree with you here. We tend to discuss if a thread should be closed or not a lot between us, to keep the forums a nice and quiet place to be, and to ensure none of you will stand unhappy after our work. Don't do the mistake to think that we just mindlessly close everything on sight just because "we have the power". We care about the forum (Duh, otherwise we wouldn't be moderators :P ) so please, don't think we are just showing off some closing skillz.

This of course is NOT what all the moderators thinks, it's what *I* think. Feel free to comment here or PM me the flames.
Flash_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote