Thread: Photographs
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-11, 00:25   Link #585
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnAwesomee View Post
I've been getting multiple people recommend me 50mm 1.8 fixed lenses, saying it will help me get better, because it will help me think of how I take a picture instead of relying on zoom lenses? Is this true? and should I get one?
I hear this advice quite a bit, and I don't think that it's true. What it does is slow you down and make you work harder to get the composition that you want - but that's it. You can still take "snap shots" with a prime (fixed-focal length lens), and you can still fudge the composition. Similarly, you can slow down and use a zoom pensively, working carefully at the composition. It partly comes down to self control.

I enjoy using primes, though. It can feel restrictive, at first, especially to a beginner who is trying to photograph anything and everything (I admit it - that was me when I started). Yet once you get the hang of it, it becomes a very interesting experience. Your "photography vision-awareness" shifts to accommodate the lens that you're using, and it's different with each prime.