View Single Post
Old 2011-04-16, 13:21   Link #2035
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Yet in this case, I think she was serious about killing Sayaka. Like...dead serious. I mean, seeing her die so many times already, I don't know if Homura even cares about anyone besides Madoka anymore....
That opens up a disturbing time loop scenario, in which Homura becomes a serial killer, mysteriously offing Madoka's friends and kills Kyubey outside of Madoka's window, warning her not to make any wishes. Then she goes on, tries to fight Walpurgis herself.....and Madoka contracts during the fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
since the gesture can only work if Sayaka really thinks that Homura might kill her. That she would think so is damning enough
Well we do know that of all of them, Sayaka is the least trusting of Homura. I wouldn't be surprised that she thinks this Homura would do that, if you remember what she said about Homura after Mami died.

Quote:
When Sayaka staggers off, she appears to be worse off than at the start of their conversation.
I agree, that's why I feel Kyoko's intervention actually made things worse.

Quote:
I agree with you that Homura does retain her humanity, despite her own words disavowing it. Sayaka is wrong when she tells Homura "you look like you've given up on everything." Homura's devotion to Madoka is also her lifeline to her own best nature, and marks an essential difference between herself and Sayaka. I'm still not sure how much Homura cares for the others, though. Kyoko's assessment of Homura in episode nine--"Just protect the one thing you really want to protect, until the very end"--seems to me the only sure truth we know about her.
Any way we slice things, Homura is a much colder person in this time loop. She's also much more focused on Madoka, since she's not just her best friend but the key to everything.

I think we're differing on our opinions of specific scenes which is fine, since we're in agreement in our overall view of Homura's character.