View Single Post
Old 2009-04-25, 11:51   Link #19
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenDoors View Post
Question for people more familiar with WWII era tanks:

Is the situation so far portrayed in the anime where a newer tank demolishes tanks of a previous generation that bad possible in real life? I am just curious.
It did happen, and it's called Operation Desert Storm (aka Gulf War I). The Iraqi T-72s that went up against the US Army's M1A1 Abrams MBTs were massacared. M1A1s were sniping T-72s from afar, outside of range of the T-72. The few T-72s that managed to close the gap and fire were treated to the unpleasant sight of their shells bouncing off the M1A1's chobham armor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
An assistant gunner has about 6.67 seconds time to reload the main gun of a leopard two. just in comparison. I never heard of an automatic loading system for tanks that is designed to do two shots in 0.5 seconds although I would not doubt that there are researchs on such reload system. If I compare the edelweiss with a big MG 3, yes, it would be possible. but the pushback would be immense
but in the the timescale of VC. no, not possible.
A well trained M1A1 crew can do 1 round every 4 seconds.

In terms of styling, it's hard to say where the Edelweiss is derived from, but in terms of features, there's no doubt in my mind: Edelweiss is a Merkava. It's got good gun, good armor, good speed, roomy enough to carry troops (although the placement of the ragnite engine prevents the position of a rear hatch like on the Merkava) and smoke dispensers and mortars.

The Merkava has a good gun, good armor, good speed, can carry a 4-man infantry team and holds smoke dispensers and a 60mm mortar.

I believe in miracles.