View Single Post
Old 2014-04-30, 21:13   Link #2
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

The student councils from where I am (in the North American system), at the high school level, don't have anywhere near the same influence as they do in most anime: the members were ordinary students of all sorts, usually those with an interest and willingness to contribute to the school spirit. Instead of being hand-picked by instructors or voted into a position by classmates, they volunteer their own time towards council activities, and positions are granted based on internal voting. While they are vital in helping plan school events (community activities, sports events, open houses, art exhibitions, concerts), being a part of the student council doesn't confer status.

The system in North America is completely different than the organisations seen in anime; the way I see it, this represents a good chance for students to gain some leadership experience while working in conjunction with other council members and instructors to organise things. As a part of the student council in my graduating year, where I helped organise the graduation ceremonies and banquet, I didn't notice additional social status gains associated with the job, but there was a sense of satisfaction that I contributed to something. With all due respect, I prefer the system I've experienced over the systems I've seen across anime, mainly because the system in anime tends to be more exclusive and may stratify some individuals into a certain social standing or preclude a chance to learn and improve, while the system I know encourages more participation and learning, giving people a chance to become stronger leaders before entering the real world.