View Single Post
Old 2013-02-13, 23:14   Link #1349
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Considering how some series like Jojo's had rather pathetic stalker points ranking, and yet dished out rank 2 with nearly 20K sales, I don't think it is any good to even think about it right now.
Jojo had about 13,000 stalker points while Tamako Market has only a tenth of that right now. I believe that Volume 1 of the latter has fallen off Amazon's top-100 Blu-ray list altogether. There's still about five weeks before it's release, but it's looking to sell only a fraction of what Hyouka or Chuunibyou sold.

I don't think that this will dissuade Kyoto Animation from further original projects. Their finances should still be good, and there are a lot of advantages over being restricted to adaptations. It just means that they'll be a lot more careful to craft a project with the potential of decent sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Properly moving a narrative forward towards its completion is the very definition of "progressive".

Besides, what makes original shows more "progressive" than anime adaptations?
When an anime studio makes an original show, they have all the say over how that show is produced, marketed, and its merchandising. This offers a huge amount of creative freedom over adapting a show. Generally, in the latter scenario, the companies financing the show will get all of those says, and the animators may end up getting forced to do whatever they're told. This seems to be the primary reason for the Endless Eight fiasco.

It's also natural for the more powerful, influential or talented people in the industry to make original works rather than adaptations.