Thread: Licensed Kokoro Connect [anime]
View Single Post
Old 2012-08-22, 06:08   Link #1498
Blonto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
Like you said, the regulatory mechanisms that kept his behavior in check during that incident were well intact, so any objections he might have had were not expressed.
Triple_R responded pretty well. We all condemn others. Taichi wanted Inaba to help Yui along with others but she just turned her back to the whole issue. How can you expect a person such as Taichi who can't stand seeing others suffer to be emotionally void at that?
I think the problem is that there's been a misunderstanding between the two. Inaba does want to help Yui, but she's afraid of hurting her and her friends. But instead of accepting this, she turns to an interpretation of herself that she's most familiar with and paints herself as this selfish person who doesn't want to get involved. She thinks her reason for not helping Yui is because she doesn't care, when in reality it's just the opposite. Taichi simply works with what Inaba gives him.
I agree that the idea of subverting Taichi's white knight persona is a much more interesting one since it makes the generic "good guy" harem lead more bearable and less Gary Stuish. I like what they're trying to do with his character, but the way the series is written, it's making it seem like being a helpful human being is somehow deranged.

Quote:
While, of course, we can blame the present circumstances for that incident. It is undeniable that he expressed what he truly felt at the moment, so we can't fully absolve him of responsibility for his actions. Therefore, you can't say that he wasn't himself since it was just as much a part of him as his usual personality, just that it's a part that he usually keeps hidden.
I said before that this "true desire" thing seems to be a mixture of general and situational feelings. The way I see it, just because someone says how they feel doesn't mean these feelings are identical when they go through all the mental filters and rational thinking. People don't think straight when they get overly emotional, they let one emotion take control of them. I'd say in such cases an emotional outburst is only a part of how a person truly feels and it doesn't necessarily hold true in its entirety.
Blonto is offline   Reply With Quote