View Single Post
Old 2008-08-20, 20:47   Link #1592
Var
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Well for what it's worth I have a degree in Journalism, English, and Theater so I know a little bit about theatrical techniques I think (Eventhough my spelling sucks at times^^), but moving along your point was that Schniezel (Can't tell you how much I hate writing his name trying a way to spell it that doesn't annoy me and all), that his hand raising to calm down Cornelia is somehow equal to a clear or subtle, first-person-centric indicator to the audience that he had something up his sleeve (Regarding the OOC Kill Zero set-up) just doesn't pass the sniff-test...That scene was 3 people being shocked at Ougi's request...Even Dullindal smirks at that suggestion...Again until you provide something that connects the dots in a way that trumps the dramatic effect and set-up for Rolo's rescue your just gerbiling in that circle...
And I have a degree in Physics, English, and soon-to-be Japanese. Not sure what college degrees have to with anything. Given I do not have a degree in Theater but I believe my experience with stories and how they are told allow me some insight on theatricality and the techniques of telling a story.

Now, let's get one point out of the way: I am not arguing against the dramatic set up. Hell if you bother reading the original post I made, I agreed with you. What I have a problem with is that you seem insistent on throwing around the words, or in this case acronym, OOC. That is what I disagree with.

I am not sure why you find it so hard to believe that a man who can, after being surprised be able to so quickly pick himself up and act is not the equivalent of someone smirking like a moron. A smirk does not have to imply that the man has a plan up his ass, he could simply be amused. Another form of showing, guess what, surprise. Someone who is able to recover from a situation quickly is usually assumed to be someone with ammunition in his gun. Further this into the fact that it is Schneizel, a man who plans for everything, and I do not see how his ability to regain composure so quickly does not raise even the slightest flag that maybe, just maybe, he has other plans whirling in his head.

So again, as I said before, you are pushing your perspective onto something as if it were law. There are many ways to show that a character is planning something aside from smirking, uncanny composure happens to be one of them.

Moving on, as this is clearly becoming pointless.

Quote:
Your point is because it happened, that is the indicator for why it happened (Which in my view doesn't exist in this episode)...My point is the reasoning behind it happening skipped some letters in the alphabet to keep the indicator hidden just enuff for the plot-twist...CG DOES THIS CONSTANTLY...Do I really have to go thru the list of how many times this show gives sketchy or non-existent details to hide the twist from the audience(Not that it always does a great job)...
No, that is simply furthering the point. My point is that the witch hunt Schneizel started with his fear-centric campaign is where the other letters came from. This was a Salem Witch Hunt at its finest. There was no physical evidence of anything, there was circumstancial evidence and an idiot Ougi with a Britannian in toe. Diethard had the right idea, as did Tamaki, in questioning the nonsense. Once Ougi started blabbering about shit he did not even understand or know about (I do not know why the Order did not question the fucking Britannian woman standing behind him) is where the fear began setting in and finally Schneizel threw in the 'I cannot guarantee that I myself am not geassed, truly fearful thing'. With Ougi countering Diethard's logic by making a fear-claim of 'Oh but what if he used it on us'. It became a Salem Witch Hunt with the only evidence being provided by Britannia. 'She's a witch.' There is your development and timecode. Go watch it. Its called scare tactics and its called a witch hunt.

With Schneizel never even stating he wanted Lelouch alive, and using the above method of turning the Order against Lelouch, I do not see how you did not expect them to try and kill him. What happened after was the continuation of the idea of a witch hunt.

Quote:
Well it doesn't matter if you think A's for Apples and J's for Jacks you still haven't remedied the fact that you have no evidence for how it goes from "Hand over my brother" to "Kill him unilaterally in cold blood on sight"...Until you can scoop any evidence out of that bowl of yours that exists in this episode, your just eating alphabet soup...
Not quite, my evidence is, like yours, based on interpretation. Where you say A is for Apples and J is for Jacks, I say A is for Arbitrary and J is Johnson.

And for the love of the debate, stop focusing on a single line and look at the scene. The mood, circumstances, and above all the other words that were said. 'Hand over my brother' does not float well as being 'Give him to me alive' when you've been goading a group of people by their fears of being under the effects of an unknown magical power that could make them do anything.

Quote:
And this is where I win...All great questions...Beautiful questions....Now I'll ask you for the last and final time, GIVE ME THE EVIDENCE IN THIS EPISODE THAT MAKES THE QUESTIONS YOU JUST ASK HAVE CREDIBILITY? Give me the timecode, give me the instant, give me anything that points to Schneizel thinking of any of these questions in-between his negotiations with the BK's and their subsequent unilateral firing squad...Anybody can have questions...I can throw questions outta my bedroom window and hit poodles all night...But it's much harder to throw answers...And while I'm not a big supporter of the whole Sherlock Holmes absence of evidence theory, I'm getting there...
Look up.

Quote:
Past actions by Schnizzle only serve as a template for viewing and//or comparing the current situation DEVOID of the actual content to truly know the answer...You're claiming to know the answer when there is no real answer...The literary answer is a clear scenario-creation with the expressed ideal of creating an overly dramatic moment that engages the Rolo plot twist...Because any smart idea that supports your questions has Schnizzle killing Lulu immediatley...Even after Kallen walks away you have more than enuff time to kill him if that was your expressed mean...
And again, I never disagreed with what was being set up. I disagreed with insitently calling it OOC. I'm claiming to know the answer just as much as you yourself are, otherwise there would be no debate here. A debate cannot start unless two people hold onto two different truths, that is the heart of a debate.

Quote:
It was a set-up, which betrayed the character flow because it skipped a step...If it doesn't skip the step there is no surprise moment with the BK's surrounding Zero with guns blazing...That's why it was OOC because it gives us two pieces of bread (The negotiation is one slice, the BK killing squad is the other slice), but it skimped on the meat...Now show me the slice of meat that connects the sandwich? That's right your piece of meat is in the fridge, otherwise known as offscreen...My point has always been that the disconnect between these two events makies it OOC by default...It has no choice but to be...

This post is long enuff I'll address your points on paranoia at some point later if I feel like it...
And again, I do not agree. It took its step full well by using scare tactics and starting an outright witch hunt. And as I said, I was not surprised at all by what happened and did, in fact, expect it from what I had seen during the negotiations. Why? Because one: I did not expect Schneizel to try again to capture someone who keeps escaping and now knows has a dangerous power, two: scare tacticts and witch hunts =/= peaceful turn overs, and three: everyone but Diethard is an idiot.

Happy yet? Or shall we continue comparing opinions to see who will simply last longer?
Var is offline   Reply With Quote