View Single Post
Old 2013-12-07, 06:27   Link #1174
MYWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoriu View Post
I quite like your explanation.

I wonder why Homura's soul gem was filled with despair though. Is it a ploy to lure Madoka out? Did she despair because she was the only one who remembered Madoka? What do you think?
The more i think about it, the more I think that maybe it was kind a of off-the-cuff sort of thing and not an elaborate ruse on Homura's part. Her soul gem did somehow became corrupted/depleted (possible prequel fodder?). She did despair. She was willing/prepared to be killed as a witch in the labyrinth of her own mind, then she did like Steve Winwood said: she saw a chance and took it.

Now, I know her saying "I've always waited for this moment" may seem to go against that, but I don't think it does: she had always waited for the moment to be reunited with Madoka, but the reason had since changed and perhaps spurred by their exchange in the flower field and newfound feeling of "love," Homura takes the opportunity to nab Madoka, strip her of (some of) her powers, and imprison her (for her own good). At which point exactly did she decide she would do this, particularly in relation to when her soul gem became tainted with love, I don't know. But I do think it was a somewhat rapid succession.

Quote:

I really loved three scenes. First is the Homura shot herself in the head one. I saw lots of promotion material about the supposed "driven to suicide" shot before I saw the movie. As a Homura fan, I *loved* the fact that she did pull the trigger. Without saying a single word. Without hesitation. No giving up. Would do anything for her mission. That's Homura. But that's only half of it. The truly badass part is where she considered but refused to shoot Mami's head/soul gem. Homura would be a shadow of herself without her hidden kindness. Would shoot her own head, but not her friend's. Mercy is real power.
Not only that, but I would like to add that even shooting Mami in the leg, Homura did recoil a little. I really did like that touch. I loved the subtlety in this film, and it really reflects the subtlety and understated nature of Homura's character. And I like how they remind you that, at the end of the day, maybe she's not quite the stone-faced hardass she presents herself to be; buried beneath the layers of jaded stoicism and badassery is still a 14-year old kid who just tries her best to do what's right.

Last edited by MYWA; 2013-12-07 at 06:37.
MYWA is offline   Reply With Quote