View Single Post
Old 2008-07-06, 15:19   Link #202
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
That's very interesting. What'd also be interesting to know is the average kill/mission ratio, especially since the article mentions how German Aces flew until they died, while experienced Allied pilots were regulated to training duties. Realistically, I suspect pilots wouldn't get more than a few per mission due to ammo/fuel limitations.
There's no such thing as an average ratio, the vast majority of pilots never got any kills at all. Looking at Hartmann's figures, he got 352 kills in 1404 missions, but there's enough variation between the combat environments that making comparisons to other pilots in other militaries doesn't really work.

The reason why the Germans have such lofty kill records is because they were usually up against very green VVS pilots. Moreover, after the Battle of Britain, there were far fewer Luftwaffe aircraft for the Western Allies to shoot down as they stayed on the strategic defensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
They seem to be launching conventional planes at the end of the episode. Apparently, for this show at least, the military isn't satisified with the idea of leaving the fate of the world in the hands of a few teenagers.
Yeah, but you know those Zeros are only there to let the Neuroi show off how powerful it is, and that the aircraft are going be shown as completely ineffectual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakome View Post
Thank you 4Tran for the chart and list. Though on the official web-site I saw that they do have their ranks listed and its based on the British Royal Airforce, I believe the ranks you listed are about the U.S Airforce equivalant though.
Not quite. Strike Witches (and just about all other anime) use IJA ranks for their soldiers (the IJN lacks the Gunso rank). Imperial Japan lacked a separate air force, so all pilots conform to their standard service ranks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakome View Post
I'm surprised Perrine is based on a French pilot. I thought from her clothes and her kind of Ojou personality it would have been British. I also think its funny that the American one has the biggest boobs .
I think that the stereotype of British characters being Ojou types isn't really supported by anime. Based on the gag in Azumanga Daioh, I think that it's pretty much to be expected that the American has the largest breasts. It'd be very unusual if Strike Witches didn't be play up this stereotype.