View Single Post
Old 2013-02-18, 19:47   Link #62
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
If that's the case, and being this is the American Politics thread. Tell me why Obama is trying to make easier and less illeagal for said immigrants to stay in America? I mean he's almost giving them amnesty to stay here.
And if it's so bad here, why do they risk life and limb to get here?
First, the people I quoted are not illegals, they come on student visa, as opposed to people who hike across the border. They either get sponsored by a company or get married.

Second, Obama's plan does have certain merits, as most folks who stay does generate/grow the economy. They aren't here for the Welfare rolls as some in the GOP claims. Because if you don't have a legal social security number you aren't qualified for any benefits.

Obama has two good reasons to grant them legal status.

First, if they are legal, they pay taxes into the system rather than live in a black economy. Which both 1) Increase crime 2) subject people to exploitation.

Second reason: He get more voters that way. We already saw that with the Latino voters that crushed Mittens "I will self deport them" Romney. If he can grant the same for asian Immigrants, (A potential GOP bloc since they are usually socially conservative and pro business), he will deny GOP inroad in that direction.

----------------------
RE: Your second question why people still risk coming here.

First, see my post above for non economic reasons.

Economically,

Is a case of the U.S Dollar. A Dollar is worth X pesos or Y Yuan, so a Chinese or Latino can earn a small/decent wage here that translate into a larger gain when they get home , so once the dollar get weak enough, immigration will also stop.