View Single Post
Old 2010-10-27, 16:25   Link #57
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I initially watched Bakemonogatari during its initial airing up to the 7th episode, and just put on hold for various reasons. Thanks to certain persons, I've just resumed and finished it recently.
I had no peculiar expectations since I had no knowledge from the Light Novel, and my "love" for SHAFT is basically closer to a lot of required caution with epilepsy countermeasure at times.

1) Image Quality:
Before anything, I believe it would be better for argument's sake to set the terms back where they belong to:
When I will state animation, it is regarding the way how characters and objects are -moving- on screen, thus the literal definition of the term.
Whereas the Sakuga is the quality of the design, and most likely how consistent it is.
Finally, the "design" itself is including all the "style" poured in.

1.1 Sakuga
I believe there isn't much to say here: the actual quality of this series isn't exactly consistent to say the least. To be a bit more precise: there isn't many details except few instances here and there (when they have a close up of a character).
In general, it is extremely limited when it doesn't involve a discussion between the characters onscreen.

1.2 Animation
This is probably the most flawed point I have with Bakemonogatari: to put it bluntly, there is little to no animation at all.
Behind this seemly exaggerated comment lies an undeniable fact: SHAFT didn't do many efforts in that department, and it noticeable from start to finish. Numerous distance still shots, absence of movements, characters talking with only their lips moving etc.
I wasn't surprised by it first, but it became apparent the series was way too often a blatant slide show, which became the epitome of the worst kind of animation possible with Episode 10: static images while the voice actors were doing their job.

How on earth is it even possible to air such kind of farce? It doesn't require to be in 60 fps whatsoever. I wouldn't even rant that much if they recycled some footage. However, just putting a slideshow there was beyond what you can call "budget saving".

Of course, it would be unfair to consider this episode as a reprensation of the animation for Bakemonogatari. However, it has to be noted that SHAFT used tons of gimmicks to avoid the so feared animated transitions whatsoever: whereas we have "design" changing around, there are often way too many blunt color screen (which I had to dub it as "unlimited color still screens works" at some point), or camera pan being way too far from the characters in order to minimize the details displayed.
I do not call that "animation" where the only thing moving are the background objects in the scenery for "style purpose" (some grid moving while characters are discussing in the... park?)

1.3 Design
Alright, we all know that SHAFT staff has a very peculiar take for visual design. Some call that art, others may call that some random stuff. And I'm part of the latter: whereas I can see why Shinbo decided to show some things in a certain way, the rest (which is...at least 90%) just doesn't make sense within the context and becomes outright distracting.
Indeed, my main gripe was the fact they decided to blend... IRL/photographic elements. That may be exotic first, but isn't any better than a very badly blended 3D CG in an anime.

Of course, this style wasn't the only unique visual aspect: there were odd transitions where the characters were complitely changed with some random cartoon style. Well, I can see that kind of stuff working in a -slapstick comedy- such like Seto no Hanayome (instances where Nagasumi design is similar to Hokuto no Ken), but in a series that is more focalised on the tsukkomi and occultism/fantasy with its lion share of characters interactions, I see no damn reason for this to happen, especially that it is sometimes hard to wonder if it wasn't a ploy to save even more budget.

Finally, a bit minor but still annoying for me was Shinbou's penchant for delivering a show that may lead people into epileptic seizure. Exaggeration aside, the choice of colors is often... doubtful or completely random (yes, I'm talking about Kanbaru beating the pulp out of Koyomi in the last episode of her arc).

In short
As you can see, I was hardly impressed by the way how SHAFT made the visuals for this series. Granted, it is obvious that SHAFT style wouldn't suit everyone. However, I believe there are times when this style works and there are others when it just doesn't. I wasn't really bothered by that in Maria Holic, nor with Negima?!, in fact I thought a good portion of that was clever. Furthermore, SHAFT proved to be proficient without this madness (the recent OVA for the Negima franchise), so there isn't really any justification for that.
That personal bias aside, the core issue here is rather how the animation and the quality in general were really subpar. I have no idea if it is part of a budget saving catastrophe plan or the so called "style", but regardless of the origin of that, it just makes the show far from smooth.

It is a shame because the opening (especially Nadeko's) are in a complete different league. Color me puzzled by this very weird direction.
5/10

2) Sound Quality:

2.1 Voice Actors
In contrast, this is probably the strongest point of Bakemonogatari: the seiyuu definitely made the characters lively despite they weren't really active on screen.
Kamiya certainly delivered the guy who can't help but be stuck in the tsukkomi role.
Saitou was difficult to recognize (well for me anyway, especially if you were to compare with her other roles, such like Louise (Gundam 00) or Subaru (Nanoha Strikers)) and she surely pulled a subtle voice for Hitagi, although I would argue that her voice is a tad too "kuudere" while some situation could have been a bit better with some slight warm side.
The other characters don't have any peculiar fault either: the voice actors managed to pull out their quirks very well.

2.2 Opening / Ending
Very good songs all around (except perhaps Kaerimichi), it was nice to have different styles for all of the characters, though I still have hard time to relate Staple Stable with Hitagi

2.3 BGM
They don't strike particularly awesome, and it is getting a bit old at some point (notably 1-2 of them being looped several time in a row for a long discussion). Nevertheless, they are suitable for the mood. Not inspiring, but definitely not subpar though.

In short
Definitely the notable aspect of this series: the characters' wits are certainly on spot and nothing that go along with the voice acting is off in that regard.
9/10

3) Script:
The meat of the series, yet not exactly something I was totally satisfied, explained below.

3.1 Characters:
As the very basis of the series, the characters in Bakemonogatari offers a wide array of personalities and oddities (both personality and literally), that don't fail to be entertaining.
There is nothing really spectacular in term of their background nor their traits, as the interactions themselves are the most interesting point of the story.

However, this quality is also a fault in my eyes:
Due to this kind of presentation, the characters aren't exactly deep in that retrospect. Surely, they aren't exactly passive, but they are dictated by the plot to the point there isn't much to say about them. This is really obvious when the plot makes a transition between 2 arcs: aside of Hitagi, each other heroines got their lime light reduced to the strict minimum as if the said arc didn't really had any impact.
Of course, they are still present (Kanbaru is an obvious evidence of that, due to her presence for Nadeko's arc), but they aren't exactly blend well with the said ongoing arc.
Even Hitagi herself is prone to be shown as a character roaming around, not really actively present in the plot.

Thus, the characters serve as a mere stage for a "oddity story", but past this point, they aren't actively involved as a whole afterwards. I will explain that issue later with the story progression paragraph, but the characters are unfortunately not pushed to their utmost potential.

Now, if I were to discuss about the characters individually, there isn't much to say. As stated above, the characters don't have any deep backstory whatsoever, and their traits aren't far from your usual cliché: Hitagi is the "kuudere" with a special tendancy of verbal abuse, Mayoi is the genki loli, Kanbaru is the sport girl with a little yuri twist, Nadeko is your typical little sister (can't say otherwise, no matter my bias towards her).

Now, as for the interaction, there is one that still disappointed me in the lot: Hitagi and Koyomi.
They make a great pair, entertaining wise. However, in a romance aspect, it is plainly... dull. I got an habit to check out most series of a given season with some romance, but Bakemonogatari is definitely not something that would earn the "best romance of 2009" at all.
The issue is that the relationship between Hitagi and Koyomi isn't really developed: yes we know they are going out, yes they declared they love each other... then what?
It isn't past this point. Of course, there is no need for an outright kiss scene to demonstrate they are in love (some series proved that), however... the scenes are definitely disjointed, the mood isn't there and there isn't much convincing "love" between the two. Even if Hitagi still has issue to express herself, it isn't really convincing when both of them only act as a couple when the said plot dictates there is an occasion for that (Episode 12). Of course, I won't deny it: there were subtle comments from Hitagi that obviously had a "caring" weight, but that's it.

3.2 Story progression

As I was explaining above, the most evident point of this kind of storytelling is that you don't see a direct aftermath or consequence of a given arc. As result, it is difficult to see a sense of "progression" while the situation before the emerging oddity isn't any different than how the character's behavior is later on. There isn't any specific "character development". Of course, I didn't expect Hitagi to go deredere after the crab arc. However, I can't help but be underwhelmed by the fact the characters aren't really going forwards, but stay stagnant.
I guess if I consider Bakemonogatari as some sort of slice of life, that issue would be cleared perhaps.

Because of this, Bakemonogatari looked like an extended "monster of the week" kind of show. Yes, it is yet an exaggeration, but it gives you the idea behind that: you have successive oddities popping here and there, which allow some issues to be explored from the characters.
But past this point, it is just not blended as a single story.
The main plot may not be prone for this, but the characters' implication could have fixed that I think (hence why I insisted a lot on the lack of consequence of an arc).

Now, if I were to point the real issue I had with the plot, be it specifically or in general: it was Tsubasa's arc.
In short, Tsubasa's issue wasn't fixed a single bit... there is no tangible point that will prevent Tsubasa to have yet another stress surge. Therefore, I just cannot consider it as a conclusive end as Shinobu will have to take action again to stop Kuroi Tsubasa.

Some people may argue that Koyomi states clearly he loves Hitagi in front of her... but that doesn't change the issue at all. In fact, it isn't like Tsubasa didn't know about that and she even helped him regarding Hitagi. Thus the situation is back to square one: Tsubasa knows Koyomi loves Hitagi and vice versa, Tsubasa still loves him, and I heard there is no way for her to be free from her family issue before she is done with school.
So where will she be able to go ahead without that feline form lurking deep inside her heart?
Proof is that Kuroi Tsubasa didn't disappear out of the thin air: Shinobu had to take measure only because Koyomi summoned her at the very critical part.

And speaking of which, this is yet another issue I have with Bakemonogatari: Shinobu, period.
In fact, I only see her as a "super plot device" which barely explains the origin of Koyomi's vampire nature. But past this point, I know nothing. So, we know she is a vampire and she has a connection with Koyomi, okay.
What's next though?
I just can't help but feel cheated by this ending: not only Tsubasa is still stuck with her stressful metamophosis (no pun intended), we have a character that was as noticeable as some random furniture from Oshino's place, suddenly becoming the "resolution" of a full fledged arc of 4 episodes no less (I don't consider Episode 12 as part of it so heh).

Of course, I heard about Kizumonogatari, but this is no excuse for such situation: I didn't expect any thorough narration or flashback about Shinobu. However, they ought to explain at least the headlines of her past and what she did with Koyomi (which was suggested in a chaotic way in the intro of Episode 1).
Why do we have to wait for a prequel story in order to understand the "role" of a character in the present story? That doesn't make sense whatsoever: they had the opportunity to set her backstory a little bit without going through the finest details. But they didn't and so, we got a vampire appearing from a shadow, sealing the deal and... sayonara.
Talk about a forced ending.

In short
As being the main dish, the script of Bakemonogatari didn't really wow me a single bit. The characters were definitely fun to watch, but past this point, the plot itself didn't go as far as it could, and thus, it fell rather flat in the end.
6/10

Conclusion
Serving some colorful characters in a compelling atmosphere, the appealing aspect of Bakemonogatari was however not to my taste due to the erratic style done by Shinbou. Suffice to say, while the plot was of course the point of the series, it however couldn't exploit the full potential of the setup and the characters, rendering the whole franchise into a very stoic tale.

It wasn't a mediocre or outstanding show in my books, and this experience was both positive and negative in all aspects.

As such, I give the following score for this series:
6/10 - Average

This "essay" is of course my only opinion, and I don't pretend to get an appreciation more worthy than anyone else's.