Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2011-08-17, 11:14   Link #15861
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I believe he meant credit card corporations. So if you don't have a job you can't apply for a credit card, which you might need to pay for your training cause since you aren't working you won't have the money just then to pay, but once you are trained and working you can pay it off.
No, actually I meant HIRING corporations. Its been running in the news over the last six months how a number of corporations have been caught specifying "unemployed need not apply". Some were embarrassed and claim to have stopped, others defended the practice. Currently there's a boycott in running against Monster.com for accepting such advertisements (though that seems kind of pointless... they're mostly trying to embarrass).

Yes, its insane.... and yes, its happening.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/econom...lication_N.htm
http://money.cnn.com/2010/06/16/news...pply/index.htm
Some states are trying to make "currently unemployed" illegal as a criteria for not hiring .... so it goes. The CNN article gets right down to the core of the problem and what mythologies and laziness motivates Human Resource departments of companies to do this.

Quote:
Since when have they been (almost unfairly) been using a person's credit rating and capacity as the basis for his capacity to work and pay for anything anyway? I just find to be a rather... imperfect and almost arbitrary system.
Since the credit agencies discovered they can make money offering the service to lazy-ass Human Resources looking for any way to cut down on the applicant pool (along with not hiring the unemployed as mentioned above). Some states have already made credit checks illegal but its tough to enforce against national/international companies. Sure death to point out a question is illegal in a job interview, eh? :P

Last edited by Vexx; 2011-08-17 at 11:27.