View Single Post
Old 2006-08-23, 22:40   Link #31
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onibaba
I whole-heartedly disagree, dunno what you call all-out romance/shoujo series if you consider most of those having romance play a noticeable role in the main plot.

To each his own.
I'm unsure exactly what you mean by this (earlier I just thought you had a typo). You realize that there are romance/shounen and romance/seinen series, right? Or how do you categorize a series like I''s (or Suzuka or Pastel) - they definitely are shounen, are they not romance?
Other than that, he's pretty obviously asking for a series that is an action(adventure)/romance/comedy where the male and female lead spend a good portion of the show bickering (not really out and out fighting, but more sniping at each other). There are a fair number of shows like this - I don't understand why it's hard to make a recommendation. If your definition of romance ends at shoujo then recommend the boy some Bokura ga Ita, Kare Kano, Nana, Marmalade Boy (there is an anime for that, right? I actually can't remember), or take a step out and recommend the josei series Honey and Clover. Though going from the list of series he likes I think Fruits Basket is probably more what he's looking for. It's more productive to offer him something that fits in with what he likes and bridges into what you like (for example, the aforementioned Fruits Basket, Ouran High Host Club, or Fushigi Yugi - all shoujo harem shows) then it is to just tell him he's wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Ikari
At this point I'm basically looking for a series with romance, a bit of a harem, comedy if possible, nice animation, and a generally good plot.
Something like Zero no Tsukaima or Shakugan no Shana would be great. Thanks and I'm sorry if this was asking too much.
Actually while writing this I thought of a couple of other ones: Futakoi alternative (I'm not that fond of it, but I know a lot of people are - the giant octopus bad guys kind of weird me out), Fruits Basket and Ouran High Host Club (the reverse harem, and both very funny), and both seasons of Comic Party (from an ero game - though I think it actually didn't have any ero in the game, must less the anime). And I'm somewhat surprised there hasn't been a Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya recommendation yet. MoSH kind of follows the same formula as SnS, FSN, and TMP, but in it's own unique way stands a lot of the conventions on their head and flips them around.

As for the animation in TMP - I thought it was pretty conventional, but I kind of remember the first two episodes being in a slightly different style - so you might check out a couple of minutes of a later episode before you make up your mind on it. Of the three (MoSH, TMP, and SnS) MoSH is my favorite, followed by TMP, and SnS brings up the rear. I like all three shows, but that's the order I'd rank them in.