View Single Post
Old 2011-09-02, 00:04   Link #567
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
If I recall K-On had an episode where Yui is worrying about studying for a test and instead ends up lazing around only to ace it. This is also something I would not want to show my kids and link to anything to do with doing well in school because it shows a completely unrealistic representation of what it's like to go to high school,study, make friends and graduate.
You mean the episode where she failed a test and aced the makeup exam? The one where she wasted all her time practicing guitar and ended up cramming when the other girls showed up to help her study?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Regarding the enjoying time at high school thing. I think it's important, but I also think K-On sugar coats the concept. Again as far as I'm concerned K-On showcases a highly idealistic high school experience where nothing bad ever happens to anybody....ever. I have a very hard time subscribing to the idea that kids could learn anything of value from it. Real life and K-On life just don't mix well in that regard.
Aside from expecting too much from a comic written to deliver jokes, you seem to single out this series out of the other xx/?? high school series for this unrealistic portrayal of high school life? Look at the Disney Channel. This fits in great with the sort of animated and live action dreck that is targeted at teens and tweens. A non-serious story about a girl with extraordinary circumstances having fun with friends. It feels like you're saying "This is a show about high school. Why isn't it more grounded in reality?" Rather than saying "This is a cartoon based on a 4 panel joke comic. Why don't I find it funny?"