View Single Post
Old 2010-06-17, 10:11   Link #11210
Oliver
Back off, I'm a scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
I'm not convinced the Winchesters are the shooting weapon (except perhaps at the end of ep1 and Hideyoshi/Rudolf/Kyrie in ep3). The existence of a handgun, probably in a single person's possession, always struck me as more likely. This is very likely the weapon that killed Nanjo, which might suggest it belongs to Rudolf, Kyrie, or Hideyoshi. Unless it belonged to Nanjo himself, and was taken from him.
There are certain limits on that. In particular, Rudolf, Kyrie, Battler, Eva, Hideyoshi, George, Rosa and Maria arrive on the plane and have to pass an inspection to do so, which includes a metal detector (specially mentioned, even) and presumably includes a baggage scan, though, not a baggage search. As possession of a handgun is illegal in Japan, getting caught with it would be a serious problem, so I expect the risk was not taken in this case. There is a certain chance that someone could have visited Niijima previously by boat, to arrange for a handgun to be there already, and pick it up after leaving the plane and before going on the boat to Rokkenjima, but the time window for that is narrow, and only Kyrie has any hints to suggest she may have done so (the Niijima boat ticket in her pocket in Ep3).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Poison or drugs could do it, and there's no way even Dr. Nanjo can manage a toxicology analysis. They'd just have to trust the wounds they see.
There's no way anyone can manage a full toxicology analysis without a fully equipped lab, but, it is possible for more or less anyone with many poisons, those that do not decompose in the body quickly enough. The method forensic toxicology started with involved extracting stomach contents as soon as possible and treating lab animals with it. Up until the Marie LaFarge case era, that was essentially the only method they had. This remained the case for plant alkaloids all the way into XX century up until chromatography became practical. Those seagulls would sure come in handy at this point.

Determining whether wounds were inflicted before or after death may also not require a lab.

Not that Nanjo can be expected to be qualified in either, though.

This link has been determined hazardous for the spoiler averse
by the Department of Education.
(updated 2010-08-24)
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote