View Single Post
Old 2010-09-11, 17:08   Link #2831
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Maybe. I'm sure both his name and luck have at least something to do with it. I mean, honestly. If an owner gets two baseball players for your team, one who's a big name and one who's new to the game, and they both perform really poorly at the start, you know the guy who's proven himself in the past will get a lot more leeway than the new guy who's still untested. It's just the way things work. I don't fault Nishio for it, as I'm a huge fan of Bakemonogatari.

I personally wasn't a huge fan of the Flask Plan arc for a couple of reasons. One, I felt it went on too long for what it was and two, Nishio's bad habit of introducing characters only to basically throw them away really reared it's ugly head here. All those Plus 13's introduced are now mostly gone, 6 of which we barely even saw. I feel Nishio does better when he focuses on developing a smaller cast of characters. Of course, that's just my preference in general and why I can't get into mangas like Baccano and Durarara, because there's too many people to follow.
I'd believe your analogy if this were Magazine or Sunday we were dealing with. However, this is Jump we are talking about and they are the notorious "What have you done for me lately?" weekly manga anthology. They don't care about past big names that much. The fact that names like Watsuki, Takei, Sawai, and Kawashita have been casualties despite giving them a hit reinforces it for me. However, I do believe luck plays a part and I've said in the past the luck was largely the year it was serialized in. If Medaka Box debuted in 2010 it would be dead. Seeing the difference between how they treated Toriko in its first year and Double Arts when it debuted, they showed me quite clearly they don't give a shit about the name Nishio Ishin as much as people think they do.

It was like 30 something chapters. Not even a full year in real-time because there are 48 chapters in all each year if a mangaka doesn't take a personal break. That is standard length for any serious arc for a manga with action in it. What you complained about supports my viewpoint. Nishio quite clearly rushed that arc despite everything it was suppose to encompass. That resulted in characters who should have been expanded on being shafted, fights being skipped, and condensed.

The last point I definitely won't dispute though because I do see that going down to preference more. I felt that if he had as much influence as people think he has, he would actually have been able to ease up in certain areas. Of course not as void of content as Bleach, since we joked that one chapter of this manga is like 10 of that one but you get my point.