View Single Post
Old 2013-02-08, 19:46   Link #204
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'm uncertain here.

I know what would be most entertaining and interesting, imo.

I think there's loads of potential in Kougami and Makishima having to work together, much to Kougami's chagrin but Makishima's amusement. It's almost too entertaining an idea to pass up!

But while I do think that Gen has a very good sense of what's entertaining and what's not, he never lets that totally take over. He's much more concerned with characters acting with consistency and in-character than he is with providing entertainment for its own sake (Gen is almost downright anti-fanservice in this regard, imo). If Gen doesn't think its plausible for Kougami and Makishima to work together, then it won't happen, no matter how entertaining such a thing might be.

So I'm leaning against it, but holding out mild hope it might happen anyway. I certainly hope we haven't seen the last of Makishima.
Yes, that's basically why I said that I can't see Kougami freeing Maishima. It would be not in-character for him. He became an enforcer because of him, so it would be hard to take seeing him working together with Makishima, willingly, actively. Adding to this that I found Kagari's last speech depicting not just his own moral, but somehow something more general, something that is shared by each enforcer, more or less. Don't know if I read to much on this by the way.
On the matter I fully agree with you btw, I would love to see it, them working together, so I also have a slight hope that it could happen in some consistent way, like him being forced to. It would be really interesting. Even if they would become an unstoppable team Surely it would be easier, narrative-wise, having them paired up, if not I think that Makishima will have less and less screen time.
But I could be pleased just having Akane fighting against him, and against herself, like ThereminVox has well pointed out.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.