View Single Post
Old 2010-09-16, 11:06   Link #3013
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Sigh is basically about Haruhi getting truly out of control in how she was treating everybody around her, especially Mikuru. Sigh certainly displays Haruhi at her worst, imo.
So it's a contrived situation that forces the characters to act in a way that they otherwise wouldn't in order to wedge in character development with a sledgehammer. Fantastic.

Think about it. The kind of person who says outright (and believes it), "Mikuru is my TOY," isn't going to change, especially not instantly, because one person happens to disapprove. The kind of person who would get someone drunk on tequila, throw them into polluted water, make them wear immodest outfits, and everything else that Mikuru CLEARLY doesn't want to do is not going to have a drastic behavioral overhaul because a second person doesn't want it to happen either.

Remember what Haruhi said to Kyon? It was something like, "What is your problem? This is my movie and I'll do what I want!" She thinks his objections are nonsense, and the fact that he wanted to hit her only made her more indignant. Remember, Haruhi was just smacking Mikuru (hard) seconds earlier. If Kyon's attempted attack upset her at ALL, it proves that she doesn't have any self-awareness or empathy, at least not the kind that would force such a turnaround in her behavior.

And how does Kyon resolve things? "uhh we're going to make this movie a success." So he's caving into Haruhi's desires. Someone with any intelligence at all (and it's understood that Haruhi has a significant amount) would immediately realize, "Hey! Even if he gets angry at me, he's still going to do exactly what I want!" You know why she's upset? Someone finally opposed her. You know what made her cheer up? That person stopped opposing her. Kyon's essentially apologizing for getting angry, and what's worse, he legitimately feels that way too. ("I don't know why I was so out of control, but I drank some milk and calmed down. It was probably just a calcium deficiency.") I think I remember yelling at my monitor, "No! You had every right to get mad! Don't be an idiot!"

When I said, "Sigh was boring and nothing happened," I was being generous. Perhaps, "Nothing happened that made sense," would be a more valid appraisal of the situation. This just brings us back to point 7 in my review at the top of the page, that Tanigawa is overrated. When you force development onto characters rather than letting them develop realistically, they're exposed for the plot tools that they are. That's not good writing.