View Single Post
Old 2012-11-01, 05:12   Link #1428
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Precisely!

It's the fundamental basis of all philosophy, the need to always consider the assumptions, both implicit and explicit, that lead us to the conclusions we make. To always confront our own biases before we criticise those of others.
This is actually the reason why the current discussion on the Sibyl System's approach on justice and incarceration actually somewhat reminds me of Foucault's Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison in the way it attempts to tackle the the social and cultural trends that lead society to adopt current methods of incarceration and/or reformation. That is to say, the question for me becomes to ask whether the Sibyl System is itself a tool for reforming would-be criminals, or a tool of vengeful control over anyone with a potential to disrupt the status quo.

I actually had a write-up somewhere when I started to see how the Urobucher's take on this society's overarching philosophy on crime and punishment somewhat mirror's Foucault's observation that the model of punishment is used not only for crime but also for controlling an entire society not only through it's criminal codes but also in everyday life.

The Sibyl System in fact nearly epitomizes Foucault's observation of the three primary techniques for control: hierarchial observation, examination and normalized judgement. The Sibyl System is the 21st century (?) equivalent of the metaphorical Panopticon. A prison of computer code and algorithms.

If I find it and finish it I'll probably post it some other time.

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2012-11-01 at 05:25.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote