View Single Post
Old 2013-09-13, 23:13   Link #2886
whsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasen View Post
Demon - well, I've already mentioned the possibility of weaknesses that have less to do with power and more about type.
And I mentioned that the type argument doesn't hold. Not only have the dragonic tools proven no more effective against dragons compared to demons, the bow has proven to one shot.

Pirate ships in volume 7 (three of them). All sank. A huge giant hole in the middle.
Sword as in Roland's Sword.
Dragon= one shot is one shot.

I've already said that absorbing energy is beside the point. The bow is able to do it and the other dragonic weapons aren't.

Quote:
2) No one said the weapons were dragon-slayers. Just that they are draconic tools. That could mean anything, including: "made from dragons" or "similar powers to dragons"

Demon - well, I've already mentioned the possibility of weaknesses that have less to do with power and more about type. Also, you'll note the demons are still alive and fine. So....eeeehhhhhh to the damage.
I'm not suggesting that dragonic weapons are super effective against dragons. As a matter of fact, you were the one who suggested it because of the "affinity" aspect of the weapons vs. dragons and demons. You've referenced it multiple times in your response that it might be because of the type. If you're going to say something like "no one said the weapons were dragon-slayers," then you can't say that it's a possibility as to why the weapons are less effective against demons due to type. After all, if the weapon is not a dragon slayer, then what separates the weapon from being used on a demon vs a dragon? Nothing.

From what I've seen thus far, the weapon isn't more effective against dragons or demons and there certaintly hasn't been any evidence that suggests so (unless you can point them out).

Also, yes, the demons are still alive. But have you noticed the damage done to the demons by the dragonic weapons? Barely a scratch. The bow is at least able to severely injure the demons enough to make them afraid and retreat. The one exception is the demon that Sasha is fighting at the end of volume 7, but that fight is inconclusive and will continue.

Quote:
It's possible Ludmira is jumped to conclusions.

Ludmira is extrapolating that "with a name like Evil Death"+"Demons must be evil" = "therefore Lavias must also be a demon-killer."

It seems more telling that Vodyanoy smiles at her speech, so he most likely knows she's wrong.
No, you fool, Ludimira didn't jump to conclusions. Truthfully speaking, I can somewhat see where there is differing opinions in the other areas, but not here. I've read that section several times and the meaning is very clear to me.

It was told to her by the previous wielder who happens to be her mother. Ludimira isn't playing semantics here. It was clear as daylight. The purpose of the weapon is to defeat demons (and the "frog" in front her was clearly a demon). The "demon" in this text actually refers to demons. If we're getting into semantics here, there is nothing here to argue.

And the demon's response can be interpreted as to exactly why the bow is superior. The demon could care less about the spear while he showed genuine fear against the bow. Furthermore, it's clear from the later conversations (Gallard conversation about when the next user of the Sword will come up) that Roland's Sword and Tigre's Bow are worth far more attention than the Dragonic Weapons.

EDIT: For clarification sake, I've added the translation of the excerpt you're looking for. In my hand, I have two separate sources (one of which is the publisher).

"The Lavias in my hand is known as the 'Spear of Evil Death.' According to the previous generation's Vanadis, this weapon is used to combat demons. And right now, there is a demon standing in front of me."

Quote:
3) Like I said, Tigre didn't one-shot anything BY HIMSELF. He borrowed power from Ellen. And the dragon wasn't wearing a fancy anti-magic collar.

I don't know if by itself the bow is more or less powerful than a viralt. But these statements are just wrong.
There is nothing "wrong" here. You're simply disagreeing with the fact a weapon compounding the power of others is something that has to be considered in the ability of the weapon because other weapons aren't able to. It's a specific characteristic that differentiates one weapon from another.

Even if you don't buy this "compounding" argument, the fact of the matter is that the full potential of the bow is suggested to be far greater. By itself, it has been shown in flashback to nuke a city and in the present, literally blow a giant cavern out into the sky (in the shape of a Black Dragon). By comparison, we've seen the Spear and Sword go at each other at full power and it didn't generate remotely the destructive power of the sacred cavern instance.

Last edited by whsie; 2013-09-13 at 23:51. Reason: Added in translation of the text.
whsie is offline   Reply With Quote