View Single Post
Old 2012-07-26, 18:19   Link #34
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
That might be their cultural mores, but it's still rude, y'know. And she's still a bitch towards Yuuya, while Yuuya is being an ass towards her.
I'm not sure if you're agreeing with my argument that such language wouldn't necessarily be intended as evidence for Yui's particular attitude towards Yuuya but I do agree with you in that it is evidence for Yui's (seeming) general problem in dealing with people outside of Japan: From start of ep 3, we see very little from Yui's point of view or things that would help explain her attitude but I suspect that how Yui is treating Yuuya is how she would be expected to be treated (in Japan) if the situation was reversed. But she's not in Japan.

So while Yuuya clearly needs to get to grips to dealing with Japanese-style TSFs, Yui probably needs to get to grips with dealing with non-Japanese military people. We dont know what Yui's been doing the last 3 years but I presume she's qualified for the job, so I would guess her problems would be more cultural than technical. It's not uncommon for writers to pair or mirror characters problems/developments too - so maybe when we see longer scenes specifically from Yui's perspective again they'll push the "fish out of water" or "foreigner in a foreign land" aspect.

PS Trying to keep things focused on Yui here. I'll post some more Yui vs Yuuya stuff some other time I hope, in a more appropriate thread.